Friday, January 7, 2011

A Wrap On A Wonderful Week

The best gift I received was after Christmas.  My son and daughter-in-law came to visit with my two grandkids Ava and Gavin.  You know I do not like the in-law tag, she is just like a daughter!!  When we met, Ava, who turns four on Monday, ran and gave her G-Pa (that is me!!) a big hug and a kiss.  As for 17 month old Gavin, I got a big smile from him while in his stroller.  My health issues kept me from visiting them at their home in Memphis, so this was my first meeting with Gavin, and except for Skype, I had not seen Ava in two years.

I give my son and his wife a great deal of credit, traveling with the two young ones.  Their flight here gave them a three hour layover in Detroit.  So after dinner Ava was looking forward to a sleep over at her G-Pa’s; so was I.  She got in my car with her child seat and by the time we got home she was sound asleep.  Not for long, because she wanted to help me get her ready for bed, and brushed her teeth, and then we turned the television on for some good night cartoons.

The next day it was off to Starbucks for a baby donut and hot chocolate, then to the mall before it opened to play on the climbing toys there, and then I took her to a place called Creation Station, a great place in Studio City Ca. for a ballet and tap class.  We had a ball.  Back home to rest and then out to dinner, where the chips and fried ice cream were her favorites.

Yesterday I told her it was time to drive back to her mama, but I had a huge surprise for her and her brother Gavin.  We took another car ride, then on a tram.  She looked at me and asked, “Are we going to Disneyland?”  When I said yes, it was an ear to ear smile.  We met up with her mom and Gavin, and thanks to a very dear friend Jayne, who had passes, we spent the day at the happiest place on earth, riding rides and she even got to walk hand in hand with Sleeping Beauty and Ariel!!!  Gavin loved the rides too; especially all of the lights in It’s A Small World.

Very tough when it was time to leave, back to the hotel for them, then Memphis today, and G-Pa shed some tears.  G-Pa also learned some important lessons.  One how much I miss my family, and two my health issues, Diabetes and Coronary Artery Disease have taken their toll.  It was difficult keeping up with the kids.  I was happy I was able to do it.  I do however have to keep up the fight and keep the progression of these two diseases in check.  Walking is one thing I must do more.  Oh look a New Year’s Resolution handed to me on a platter.  One easy to keep for the next round with Ava and Gavin.  I must watch what goes into my mouth, is a piece of candy worth the consequences?  That is easy to answer. No! 

I have my work cut out for me, but it is a task very much worth it, so I can keep up with these two precious ones.  I cannot wait for the next Skype and visit.  A huge THANK YOU to Joe and Brandie, you have put just like Ava, an ear to ear smile on your father’s face!!  Love you both!!

No comments: