Monday, January 31, 2011

It Is A Super Week

Some of my favorite times in my career are of covering the Super Bowl.  Long hours, lots of parties and being on the field.  I am already missing not being in Dallas this year.  There is something very special about the Super Bowl.  It touches sports fans and those mildly interested.

How many of you will throw a party this year?  How many are more interested in the commercials than the game?  Betty White’s commercial last year put her back to the top once again.

For me, my Super Bowl coverage went to a different level when I was the news director and senior anchor at Fox Sports Radio.  FSR’s general manager, the late Andrew Ashwood decided to bring every show on the network to the Super Bowl.  It was a daunting task manning radio row during Super Week, and he and the staff pulled it off.  Producers lined up greats guests, editors back in Los Angeles got us outstanding sound bites to use in my updates, and the parties, well what goes on at the Super Bowl…

It was also reunion time for me, especially when the Steelers were in the game.  I worked in Pittsburgh for ten years, so when the local Pittsburgh media came to town, it was like attending a reunion for me, seeing friends and former colleagues I had not seen for years. 

Being on the field after the game brought chills to me, the feeling of standing there is indescribable, but I made sure I took pictures.  The only other time I had this feeling was when I stepped onto the field at Yankee Stadium, a place my dad and I spent countless weekends while growing up.

This year, I will be watching the Super Bowl on TV, rooting for my Steelers, a team I had the privilege of doing the pre and post game shows live from all of the tailgate parties.  It will not be like being there working 18 hour days (ok that includes the nightly parties), but I look forward to this Sunday.

I will have to rely on my Direct-TV service to watch the game.   Sunday night while watching the SAG Awards my box went out.  After trying to get through the maddening computer answering system I finally found a human to speak with after ten minutes.  I told them I wanted a new box post haste!!  After a small um debate they promised to get me a new box this week.  Let us see if they are true to their word.  I have found Direct-TV customer service to be maybe the worst in the business, but they have the best sports programming so I deal with it.

Time to end this, so I can figure out what food to plan for Super Sunday, and all to say now is GO STEELERS!!!!  






No comments: