Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Prayers, Health and Service

Three topics on my mind today.  First and foremost my prayers to all of the victim of the tragedy in Tucson over the weekend.  To those recovering and to those who passed may God be with you.  I am praying for all of you.

To those who still insist on making this a political issue, SHAME ON YOU.  This is no more political than deciding what you want for dinner.  The lowlife who shot these people has no political agenda.  According to those who know him he is a pot smoking skull worshiping sicko.  So stop placing blame on any ideology or party or person.  I have said this before and I will say this over and over, lets us pull together and be great Americans.  Thos of you who cannot do this, know you are no better than the person (I refuse to state his name, no publicity for him) who pulled the trigger on Saturday.  And to the students at the memorial service, to those cheering, this was not a pep rally.  What are you thinking?

To health, and again mine.  I have been suffering from angina attacks over the past few days.  I have been reading a great deal about angina and I do not mind telling you I am quite concerned.  Is this a warning sign of something which may happen?  I hope not. In 2009 I spent some time in the hospital in ten months of the year, in 2010 visited the hospital just twice, once because I broke my thumb, giving me the klutz of the year award.  2011 health wise has not started well, high blood sugars, angina and eye problems.  Imagine if I was not taking care of myself.  So if any of my friends get panic calls during the night, I apologize ahead of time.

Finally today, Service.  I am a volunteer Docent at the Getty Museum.  I man the family room, sketching gallery and give an architecture tour.   I Iove giving of my time for this.  I have met wonderful people from all over the world, I have learned so much about architecture and art, and now am preparing my garden tour of the Getty.  I smile from the time I get to the museum, until the time I leave anticipating my next tour of duty.

Just this week I have started being of service to Wheels of Humanity.  This organization restores wheel chairs and ships them all over the world.  They do not however provide these chairs to Americans, because of the chance of lawsuits.  What a sorry commentary on the people of our great country.

I have learned to take the wheel chairs apart, grease the bearings, and shine them up so they can be shipped out.  It is a detail job, something I have gotten far away from since I have had health issues.  Again, like the Getty I am getting more out of it than I am giving.  Let me suggest that all of us find a way to be of service.  Whether it be one day a week, a month, or more, I promise you it will make your heart smile.

No comments: