Friday, August 27, 2010

Some Things I Know I Think

The state of California has done it again. This time to diabetic kids. This from the American Diabetes Association:


“On June 8, 2010, a California appeals court ruled that state law prohibits school employees who are not nurses from volunteering to help children with diabetes by administering needed insulin. There is one school nurse for every 2700 students in California; there is a budget crisis with school personnel being laid off across the state. And even if there was a full-time school nurse in every school, we know the nurse wouldn’t be available for all extra-curricular activities and field trips.
The result of this decision is obvious: young children with diabetes will not have access to the insulin that is their lifeblood.”

It is not like these kids have a choice to take their insulin now or later. Taking their insulin keeps their blood sugars stable.  Most people do not understand the importance of maintaining level blood sugars and how much damage high blood sugar causes internal organs.  The way I finally understood the damage caused by high blood sugar was when a friend gave me an analogy to think of sugar as raw sand running through my body and weakening my cardio vascular system and internal organs.

Regulating insulin administration is needed but to this level?  I find these rulings not surprising at all. Why do I say this?  I recently had an experience with my insurance company.  When I arrived at the pharmacy to pick up a refill of insulin it was not approved.  Why?   The refill policy was changed from pickup to mail order it without notifying me.  Just imagine my horror and surprise.  The result, I had to go a few days without proper insulin.  This episode was a very dangerous time for me.

 But to play their political tricks on children is just unthinkable. Bombard the California political legislative hacks with emails and phone calls please.  Question this rational and the ramifications. This is not right.  Our politicians are playing with the lives of young children this time around. I am sure most legislators have no clue on the effects of diabetes and the need for insulin shots. 

You do not have to live in California to be heard on this one. From an insulin dependent diabetic, I thank you in advance!!

Something else I think, and have thought for years. I realize presidents need vacations. Some presidents take more time off than others.  Why is it the news media files a report on how many times the first family goes for ice cream, swims, or plays ball. For me this is not news and I do not care! And I doubt if the reporters filing these reports care either. One reporter thought it was funny to post a “Breaking News” story about the President enjoying his vacation. Not only was it not funny, it showed how misused the phrase “Breaking News” is.  Most people I spoke with thought the reporter believed this report was “Breaking News”.

And one final thought. I went to the Hollywood Bowl this week to enjoy an evening of classical music. I really enjoyed the concert, the warm weather and a nice de-stressing evening.  My evening begins with a smile because the L.A. Philharmonic starts the concert playing the Star Spangled Banner and the audience singing our National Anthem.  And surprise we did not even need to say “play ball”.

No comments: