Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Losing More Jobs

I would like to begin this blog with part of an article from the L.A. Times on August 3rd.

“The clout of Los Angeles” municipal employees will be put to a test Tuesday when the City Council decides whether to allow outside companies to take over billing duties for the Fire Department’s emergency ambulance service.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has urged the City Council to approve these contracts, saying the department will be left with a $15.9-million hole in its budget unless the plan to automate and outsource billing operations moves forward.

Mayor Villaraigosa’s effort is being vigorously opposed by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which contends a private company, Advanced Data Processing Inc., will receive too much of the billing revenue if the contracts are approved.
The union said city officials underestimated the fees that would be collected when they negotiated the agreements.
“They’re just handing over all those net profits to the contractor,” said Cheryl Parisi, executive director of the union's local affiliate.”

Once again the country’s worst Mayor is trying to save the city… could he be clueless not only in this but many other aspects of leading this city.   But let us just deal with outsourcing. Where is the proof that this action will save money and not just give money to someone else at the cost of jobs to American Workers?  What is the return on investment or actual cost saving to the City if this step is taken?     How many years will it take the City to see the savings.   I have heard outsourcing companies using offshore employees.  Of course it seems like there is a cost savings.   There is also the risk of not finding the resource to do the job right in the offshore pool.  The company then comes back and offers the same job to US resources at offshore wage.
 
How bad is outsourcing?  Ask some of the companies who have tried it, how did it work for them?  How much money did they save?   I have heard of one company trying to break their contract.  Why take these steps, because the companies they hired cannot get the job done.  

This is a huge issue mostly being ignored by our politicians and by the media.  There is an ongoing call for companies to add jobs.   I ask, if jobs are added but then sent offshore, where does the US economy gain? 

You and I can do something about this. Call your congressmen and senators, put them on notice. Call companies who outsource and say you will not use their services.

When I call a company and suspect that I am talking to a person located offshore, I asked if they are located in America.  If the answer is no, I ask to be transferred back to an onshore office.  Often times, I have had to ask multiple times, and even then I am not always successful.  So, I hang up and call again with the same request.  I have even had to contact the company who is outsourcing and tell them of my displeasure.

You and I have the ability to keep jobs here in the good ole’ USA, by making noise and hitting companies in their pocketbooks, and the politicians in the ballot box.  MAKE NOISE, KEEP OUR JOBS HERE!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get frustrated with people who can't understand me...also to give them my personal information is not an option! keep the jobs in the USA!