Thursday, August 19, 2010

Biggest Con Game Going

Now what can that be?  Sky rocking credit card interest rates:, the Stock Market daily dance, refinancing one’s home?  The answer to the above is none.

 The biggest con game is run by health insurance companies.

We hear how much medical costs are rising and rates have to go up. Why, because those running these insurance companies have to line their pockets with extreme amounts of cash. Another indication this country is becoming the “haves” versus the “have not’s”. 
 I am not suggesting we take away from hard working people and give their money away. I am suggesting we take a long look at companies that highly compensate their executives for poor leadership and management, this is just plain robbery.

Some published examples:

Well Point insurance in California wanted a 39 percent increase in their 
health insurance rates. Why, well maybe because their CEO’s salary was going to go up 51 per cent.

Aetna profits jumped 40 percent.

The 5 heads of health insurance companies will make over 200 
million dollars. Rate increases they say are needed. Why; because they want to prepare for costs which will take effect in 2014 when new insurance rules are in place.

Then there is the company which affects me personally, Cigna. My doctors have said I cannot work because of health problems. MD’s, 
trained medical doctors who have been working with me all during my health issues.  Interesting, a nurse practitioner paid by Cigna declares I can work.  So this insurance company stops paying my private long term disability payments Now I have to make a decision, medication or eat. 

The company cannot survive paying me; however their retiring CEO Ed Hanway got a package worth 111 million dollars (yes that is the right number) . I guess stopping my monthly check goes right into his pocket.

I do not want the 
federal government to get involved. Each state has the ability to stop insurance companies from gouging us with these immoral rate increases. I challenge each state to do their job and JUST SAY NO. I am sure the CEO’s can survive and just a bit less.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are completely right, Vince...and it is unfortunate. I've been a nurse for 31 years. Throughout my entire career, I've watched the innocent suffer because of decisions made by insurance company personnel who wouldn't know what was good for the patient if it slapped them upside the head.

I'm a nurse because I care about people, and I want to help others...there are many times I can't do my job they way I want because a nurse case manager has decided that one of my clients REALLY doesn't need the medication or treatment the doctor feels is necessary. It's frustrating and wrong. I'm afraid the only time things will change is when the "Powers that Be" become sick, and can't get the health care they need because someone at THEIR insurance company deems their treatment "excessive" or "unnecessary"...call me a bitch, but I look forward to that day with great anticipation!murph58