Monday, August 9, 2010

Following One’s Own Advice

I wrote a blog about how Diabetics can enjoy a weekend and not compromise one’s health. I was happy with the blog.

A friend of mine who read the blog asked me if I was going to print out my essay and keep it in my pocket. 
 I laughed and said good idea and left it at that.  I have been thinking about that comment all weekend and you know what, it is a great suggestion.  So great, I am thinking about advice I give, ok maybe I should call them suggestions, and I am looking to see if I practice what I preach. The answer is, not nearly enough!

It is not often people come to me and look for advice. 
 But when they do, I work hard to make sure what I am saying is useful.  I now will look deeper and see if I am helping myself as well.
Here’s an example:

As parents we tell our children to do this and that, but do we do the same?  Do we practice what we say?  Do we lead by example?

I live over 2000 miles away from my children.  Seeing them regularly is not an option.  When I do see them, it is a real luxury.  I miss hearing from my children.  The silence between calls really hurts.  I cannot express how much I miss them and my grandchildren.  I especially miss hearing about all the little milestones my grandchildren are experiencing. 

I know keeping in contact is not a one way street.  And yet with their busy lives, I expect them to keep in touch with me, to call.

Being busy at work is not an excuse.  I know when I was in my prime, I used the excuse I was busy earning a living.   Now I ask myself, what type of example did I teach?

Parents need to do everything possible to stay in touch with their children, period!  The loneliness I experience is not caused because of a one way street. The loss of family contact in our mobile society can be easily avoided if communication is established when children are young, ask questions, just watch them do silly things, talk to them

One does not need to let their ego get in the way.  Pick up the phone.  Remember kids will have their own opinions; respect them as you would like them to respect your own.  Talk to them, you might learn something.



OK I guess I should print this one out too and practice what I preach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said, Vince!

god googler said...

Well said, indeed. I know I don't call my parents enough and they get offended easily and get snarky when I do. I tell them that they can certainly call me too which they never do. I'm the first to leave the nest and bad habits that started in college never got addressed on both ends.

Know too, that you gave me a lot of advice early on in my career and it was always very useful. The one time I got an air shift at WFAN was because of you...so thanks!