Monday, August 2, 2010

How to Lose Potential Customers


So it is Saturday and I am trying to enjoy the Dodger/Giants baseball game.  I would not think a television commercial could make me so upset.  Well congratulations Audi you did it!

The commercial begins with a man at the checkout line in a grocery store.   The cashier asks “paper or plastic?”   The man replies plastic.   Suddenly the “green police” barge in, smash his head down on the conveyor belt and cuff him.   

The next scene shows a reporter reporting “breaking news” a scene of a  man being arrested for using an incandescent light bulb,  then a traffic stop and only the Audi is green enough to go through.   

Audi you have gone too far!   You have turned us into a Gestapo state.   Hey I understand it is important to try and keep the earth clean.   I recycle my bottles; I try to not waste water and electricity. But do not portray me as criminal if I use plastic bags.

Did Audi executives think this a funny ad?  With all of the tension between the political left and right this is not a funny ad at all.  What I saw was a portrayal of more hostility and division flowing over into everyday life.  After seeing this commercial, I decided not to buy an automobile from a company who thinks they are either being funny or trying to push their political beliefs on me.

After seeing this commercial, I don’t see an Audi car in my future, and I will make as much noise as possible letting this Auto Maker know how dangerous these types of television commercials are.  

No comments: