Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Follow Up On Grocery Stores and Diabetes

On July 23rd I wrote a short blog about food, diabetics and being heard.  Here is the blog:

I was at one of the food stores I shop at today.  It was a Vons.  I wanted to see how diabetic friendly they are.  I asked about sugar free drinks, desserts, no sugar added items, low carb selections.  The manager was happy to answer my questions and take suggestions.  We are a very big group of consumers, but if we do not speak up we will not be heard.  So please speak up.  During the weeks and months to come I will be checking grocery stores, food stores like Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy, and Whole Foods.  So far the least diabetic friendly store is Whole Foods.  I asked Fresh and Easy to get a sugar free product and they did.  So let us unite and find the best place to spend our money!!!!... Post your suggestions and findings on this blog, and I will spread the word.

Here is a follow up.  I wrote to the California stores, Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Fresh and Easy, and Gelson’s.  I received some automated emails in response, and one personal response from Ralphs.  Ralphs said they understood my position.  That was it.  I do not think these stores believe diabetics as a group will unite and shop where we are taken care of.  My unscientific survey finds this:

Fresh and Easy has great selections for one or two people, but they do not cater to diabetics at all.  Very few if any low or no sugar items.  The major grocery stores, token stocking of low sugar items, and most with no sugar are more expensive that items with sugar.

Finding drinks with little or no sugar is tough.  After Diet Coke, and Diet Pepsi, there are few choices.

Gator Aide told me they have no plans to introduce a no sugar product.  Power Aide, meanwhile has a no sugar sports drink in a number of flavors. Good for them and I spend a good deal of my money on that product.

The only way we are going to have an effect on what these stores carry is for each and every diabetic to make noise at the local store.  I do, and I do it in a polite and non threatening way.  I do however let the stores know I will shop at places who care about my needs.

It only takes a minute to make a suggestion to a local manager or write an email.  If we all do this we will have so many more choices as we try and take care of our blood sugar needs.

No comments: