Monday, August 16, 2010

I Have So Many Questions!

I will ask just a few this time.

Why it is one judge can overturn the will of the people? 
 I am referring to California Prop 8.  Now before you jump all over me, I have no problem with gay marriage If homosexual and lesbians want to be another statistic adding to the population where one of two marriages end in divorce that’s fine with me.  I am sure divorce lawyers are counting the additional income already. 

Is this something which could be resolved by redefining the word marriage or coming up with another term for same sex couples?  I do not have an answer; however the United States is still a democracy and we must accept it when a majority votes on one side of an issue.

Here is my concern, a vote was called and taken, the proposition lost.  If we allow our votes to be overturned by the judicial system, are we putting ourselves at risk of losing our voice?  It’s not the issue I am concerned with; it is more the precedent being set.

Whether I voted for 
President Obama or not, I accept he is our President.  For those who voted differently, the majority ruled, accept it.  In America we vote in our representatives, then rate them, and decide to keep them in office or vote them out next time around.  This is the process that makes us the best country in the world.

My next question, why did our President get into the fight over the 
Mosque to be built in New York City, so near the site of 9-11?  I lived in New York on September 11th and I am of the opinion of 79 percent of New Yorkers, build a Mosque, but not there.  Why can not the Muslim world understand the insensitivity of this project?  When two Catholic nuns wanted to build a Catholic memorial at the site of a Nazi death camp, Pope John Paul II said it was not appropriate to build there.  No memorial was built there.  I don’t have the answer to this question.  

And finally today, who cares about 
Levi Johnson and Bristol Palin Why are Lindsay Lohan’s problems o newsworthy?  We should let these families work out their own solutions unless they ask for help.

That is enough for today!!


3 comments:

Marlene said...

I am a God fearing woman and will not judge someone on the gay issue, however, i do refer to what the Bible says and believe what God says...i love the sinner but not the sin...as to building near the 9/11 site...i was there also on that day and believe they should build but not at the site...come on! Understand our reasons!

Elise said...

Because it doesn't matter how many people voted for it or against it, it is unconstitutional to deny someone their rights because of their sexuality. It is not something you can vote away. Do you think if you had put it up for a vote in the South in the 1960's they would have voted to allow interracial marriage? Of course not! But you cannot deny people of different races to marry and you cannot deny people of the same sex to marry.

Chip said...

I'm with Elise on this one...the precedent of judicial review has long been set. The constitution is clear, the judial branch is required to review the laws that are passed, and must strike down those that are unconstitutional.

Regarding the mosque: either we believe in religious freedom...or we don't. It is a fundamental right in this country to worship without interference by the government. And that means the government cannot tell any religious group where they can and cannot build a place of worship. I do understand the sensitivity, but there are times when insisting on our freedoms is uncomfortable. Every day we must take a stand and show the world what America really stands for. (And it is just plain wrong to tar all moslems because of the actions of a handful of extremists.)