Monday, February 21, 2011

Watching The World From A new Perspective

It is easy to take things for granted, walking, driving, running, playing to name a few.  With my right foot in a cast, no driving for me, and getting around with crutches is no easy task.  I almost fell down stairs once, my cast must not have weight bearing pressure, and I cannot fend for myself.  I am recovering from Charcot foot, a side effect from my diabetes.  If you or your loved one is a diabetic make sure you take care and follow doctors advice, and get out of denial, a denial which has caused me numerous health problems

It is very interesting to see the world from this perspective.  I have to rely on the kindness of people, those I know and perfect strangers.  If it were not for friends I could not get around to visit my doctors or to get food from the grocery stores.  I would be stuck at home watching television and reading and sleeping.  I have some wonderful friends, who offer their help, and it is so appreciated, I cannot express how much in the length of a blog.

What has  amazed me are the perfect strangers.  It is great that stores I frequent for food, Von’s, Ralph’s and Fresh and Easy all have these cool motorized carts for me to get around.  I was trying to do that at Von’s with my crutches with me and I almost wiped out half an isle of food.  As this was happening, a man with his son ran over to help me out.  What a great example for his little one to see, he is lucky to have a father who is such a role model.

As I was waiting for my ride after a Fresh and Easy visit to come and get me a man in his 80’s asked if I needed any help.  A number of people have waited for me to get to a doorway to hold it open for me.  At Von’s the Starbucks personnel went to find a motorized cart for me, well above their responsibilities.

I went and did some clothing shopping at the Stein Mart in Santa Clarita California, and a worker there went and got me a wheel chair so I did not have to hobble around with my crutches.  Wow, given the chance the majority of people are so kind and helpful.

What would this blog be without some interesting stories other than of kindness?  The entitled generation could care less if I was having a problem or struggling, especially in the liquor isles.  One such young man backed right into my path, lucky for him I knew how to stop the cart, he was annoyed at me being in his way, how dare I drive my cart when he decided he needed to step back.

My favorite story though had a woman with her shopping cart blocking everyone being in the middle of the isle while talking to a man.  When he saw me he suggested the lady move her cart.  She looked at me with a disgusted expression and asked me what were the magic words?  I looked at her only as I can and said, “One drives on the right in America, not in the middle.”

A huge THANK YOU to all of these perfect strangers and close friends who have offered their help.  It feels so good to know people really do care whether they know you or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is cool; it is hard on our pride to be helpless but it is amazing to see the kindness of others!