Friday, February 18, 2011

A Dog’s Purpose

If you have not read this book, it is a must read.  It is all about the lives of a dog, when he passes and comes back as another dog with a new master.  This book will touch all of your emotions.  I laughed, was concerned and even had tears reading this book (I actually listened to the book while driving).

I have a story of two dogs, Mia and Ruby.  These two angels actually alerted me to some health issues.  In December I began not feeling well. I thought it was just a cold, or stress, or both.  Ruby and her human came to visit Mia and her human.  Ruby is a great dog as is Mia, and Ruby is very attached to her human, however Ruby would not leave my side, I was visiting Mia and her human.

It was almost like Ruby was trying to mother me.  Mia, much smaller than Ruby was covering me with her body, almost like she was trying to protect me.  As my symptoms became worse, the reaction of these two dogs made me get myself to the doctor much sooner than I usually would.  It took the doctors a few days, but they found a pulmonary embolism in my lung, and are treating it.  My two dog friends knew something was going on and since their behavior was so different than normal, I was much more aware of what was going on inside of me.

I now am more aware changes in my diabetes.  This is all thanks to my best friends, Mia and Ruby.  So why are people so nasty to dogs, why are there puppy mills where dogs are abused, and why do the Michael Vicks’ of the world find joy in making dogs fight each other to the death?

I cannot start to answer these questions; I can only point them out and be part of the fight to end puppy mills and dog fighting.  Do I think Michael Vick has paid his debt to society, maybe but to the dogs, not even close.  I find it hard to believe he has had such a turn around.

If you know a store is selling dogs from puppy mills, most stores do, do not support that store.  If you know about puppy mills, let the authorities know.  These poor defenseless pups cannot fend for themselves; we need to fend for them.

I urge all of you if you want a pet, adopt one.  Mia, a Boston Terrier, was rescued from an organization called Boston Buddies.  They find the pups, young and old, care for them, and find forever homes for them.  This is one of thousands of dog rescues.  Visit them and you can find your forever dog, your new best friend.



No comments: