Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It Is Heart Month

It is getting closer to Valentine’s Day.  Will Cupid finally hit you with his arrow?  That arrow has more than love in it; it has information in it as well.  Valentine’s month is also Heart month. 

Cardiovascular disease is a leading cause of death among diabetics.  Chronic high blood sugar readings can cause a narrowing of the arteries.  Couple that with high cholesterol which adds fatty deposits to the arteries and that is a formula for disaster.  A heart attack may be just around the corner.  Coronary Artery Disease restricts blood flow to the heart,

Many with diabetes deny they have this disease for years.  I was one living in denial, and I have been rewarded with a by-pass, seven stents, depression, minor strokes and high blood pressure to name a few.  I am one of the lucky ones so far.  My medical team has worked very hard with me to understand that all my denial was doing was sending me to an early grave.

I need to keep on working to improve my health.  I watch my diet, I need to exercise more, keep my weight down, I lost 63 pounds last year and am keeping it off.

If you have been told you are diabetic, stop the denial.  If you stay on top of this nasty disease you can have a much easier time keeping it in check.  You will not beat diabetes if you ignore it. It will not go away, and you cannot cure yourself by wishing it away.  You need to get a team together to work on your diabetes.  They cannot do it for you, they can work with you, however if you are not willing to become involved you will pay for it in the future.  It is never too late to accept the fact you are diabetic.  You are fighting for your life.

There are so many tools to help you fight diabetes and prevent heart disease, or stop any further damage.  Websites like the American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, dLife and others have a wealth of information to help you and your medical teams formulate a plan for you.

So come on Cupid, hit us with that information arrow now!!



No comments: