Monday, October 18, 2010

Let’s Get Ready To Walk

Millions of Americans have type one or type two diabetes.  From my experience I can tell you it is a nasty disease!  It attacks so many organs in our bodies, and without strict control the health problems are too numerous to mention.  To name a few though, it can affect arteries, your heart, your eyesight, and your feet. 

I suffer from most of the above.  The problem is it such a silent killer.  Sure one may know when ones sugar is high, you want to drink gallons of water, but getting to that point is often too late, damage is already done.

Diabetics do not produce enough insulin to keep blood sugars in the normal range, 70-120.  The excess sugar attacks different parts of the body.  My problem was when I was diagnosed I figured no problem I will beat this.  I did not learn enough about diabetes until it was much too late.  My latest challenge is the swelling of my retinas caused by high blood sugars; I may not be able to restore all of the sight in my left eye.

So what can I do now?  I am getting treatments, injection in both eyes every three weeks, one eye at a time.  If one person reading this says ouch no way, good if you are diabetic maybe you will check your blood sugar levels more often, especially early in your diagnosis so you will not have retina problems.

Diabetes can be caused by a bad diet, or even too much stress.  Kids born with diabetes however, have not done anything to get this disease.  Their pancreases do not perform and they need insulin from the get go.  Insulin itself can cause problems later in life.  Some type two diabetics can control this nasty disease with diet and exercise.  If you can great!!!  Get your butt off the chair, walk, run. swim, bike.  And pass up that Big Mac or Whopper.

What we need for diabetics is a cure.  What we do now is put a band aid on the problem.  That is not near good enough.  More money, dedication and commitment is needed to find a cure!!  Scientists are getting closer.  There are talks of pancreas transplants, or maybe stem cells from one’s own body.  But they need our help.  

There are walks and rides for diabetes all over the country.  You can help by walking, riding, or donating to diabetes research.  I have taken the easy way out in the past by donating some cash.  This year, despite the fact I cannot walk far because of my artery problem, I want to walk and be part of a team.

There is a Juvenile Diabetes walk in the Los Angeles are on November 7th. I plan to be a part of it.  Helping to find a cure for diabetes will not only help diabetes, but those who will be diagnosed in the future, and the a possible benefit is to keep all of our heath costs down.

I have covered sports teams for more than 30 years.  Those of you who cheer for a team, hey the Yankees would be a good choice!!!, know how it feels when your team wins a championship.  The look on fans faces which I have seen are in many cases priceless.  It is also a great time for you to pick a team trying to raise money for a cure.  Imagine the feeling when one is found and we win!!!  The trophy for the win… healthy living and sharing special moments with your family and loved ones!

No comments: