Tuesday, July 13, 2010

We Will Miss You Mr. Steinbrenner

What  a way to start my day.  George Steinbrenner owner of the New York Yankees has passed.  I always had the utmost respect for the Boss. He was criticized for quote buying championships.  Bottom line, he spent his own money on players, and was taxed by Major League Baseball and his money went to other owners who put the money in their pockets.. not spending it on players.

The Boss was always good to me.  In ny first year at WNBC TV I asked him for a one on one interview he said yes.. and sat there while my photographer changed a dead battery.  We did a long interview, when the rest of the media realized what was happening and started coming over the boss smiled and said look whose coming I have to go.

There were many days at Yankee Stadium when I was there early he would come over and chat.  He was proud of his team and his stadium.  He one day dragged me into the rest rooms to show me how clean they were.

He did not much are about the criticism of other owners and fans.  He was all about wining and did everything he could to put the best in baseball in pinstripes.

Boss George I will and already do miss you.  New York and Major League Baseball will not be the same without you.

No comments: