Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dealing with a Loss

Nothing makes me feel better than the love I receive from a pet. When I am ill or feeling down, my little buddy Mia does everything she can to make me feel better. When I am not around her I feel something in my life is missing.

Recently I was befriended by three cats, Scatters, Nachos, and Vito. Now this trio is independent and did not accept me right away. These cats are not indoor cats, they spend a good deal of time outdoors   Scatters.... well he would.....always scatter... the perfect name for him. 
 He is mister independent.  But, after feeding them a few times they accepted me as much as a cat can.

Vito turned out to be my friend.  He would run to my car when I came home, sit on my lap and let me know in no uncertain terms when he was hungry.

Sadly, Saturday night Vito was outdoors enjoying the full moon, and so were the coyotes in the neighborhood.   The coyotes managed to attack him in his back yard.  Despite two hours of treatment by a Vet, Vito did not make it.  He was attacked on his head and lungs and the trauma was too severe.   Vito crossed the rainbow bridge that night.   He may be gone, but his memory lives under the peach tree he loved to relax under, this is where he was laid to rest.

For those of you who want to say it was only a pet SHAME ON YOU. Vito was part of my life as well as his masters, the neighbors and friends.  It is a loss that is so hard to deal with, and that is what I am doing while composing this blog.

I gave the other two cats’ big hugs and even Scatters who does not like to be held accepted my hug and then rubbed up against my legs.

Pets are family period. Love them, make sure they are fed, and love them more. With all of the hot temperatures in most of the nation, this is a reminder to not leave your pet in the car, make sure they the have plenty of fresh water inside and out and are safe in your home. .

Vito (Vits) I miss you!

1 comment:

Dave Williams said...

Vince, I've been harping about the unconditional love of pets all week. I truly believe that they were given to us by God so that we know how He loves us.

If you haven't seen this, enjoy a good cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUNJjIwlHk8