Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Already The 15th, Do You Feel The Holiday Spirit Yet?

I am feeling it because as I sit and write I am listening to Christmas Music, everything from Dean Martin to Jessica Simpson, and it is getting me there.  So many traditions from the past are being replaced by new ones.  Last Christmas I saw A Christmas Story for the first time.  Never realized it was written by Jean Shepherd.   Never wanted to watch it until I learned that, but now thanks to cable television I can watch it over and over again for 24 hours.  This tradition does remind me of the past though, I use to sneak my transistor radio under my pillow and listen to Shepherds live show from Greenwich Village on Friday nights on WOR Radio in New York City.

One of my traditions which I began when I moved to Los Angeles seven years ago has been cancelled for this year.  The Department of Water and Power had a great light show in Griffith Park.  They cancelled it this year because of a water project at the park.  Great planning!! 

I use to love to go to Midnight Mass back east, and I found a church out in Los Angeles to enjoy it.  The music is great, people are in good cheer, and Midnight Mass begins at 10 p.m.  Only in Los Angeles I guess!!

I recently moved into a new neighborhood and the Christmas decorations are top notch.  It makes for a great evening walk.  This also reminds me of an old tradition, first as a child when I would go with my parents to check out the lights in the Bronx, New York, then with my kids in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, and Pittsburgh, PA. There was nothing that brought more joy than seeing the eyes of my kids reveling at each decorated house.  I even got to take my granddaughter one Christmas season to see the Griffith Park lights.
Hopefully this is the time of the year when we can put aside the negative and dwell on the positive.  There is so much for all of us to be grateful for.  My last blog was not very positive, and friends pointed out so many of the positive parts of my life.  I thank them for this.  It is very easy to go to the dark side, but is much easier to kick the dark side to the curb, just like it is easier to smile than frown.

So, take some time to listen to Christmas Music, watch little ones as they talk with Santa, take in the decorations.  As for a White Christmas, for those of you who cannot wait, good for you, and for those like myself who would rather watch it, open your hearts and let the love and joy of this season become a part of you.  And make sure you do not shoot your eye out.  If you do not understand… watch A Christmas Story!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Vince. This is indeed a very special time of year if you open your heart.