Friday, November 19, 2010

The Time of the Year for Blues

We are less than a week away from the start of the “holiday season”.  I know, I know, stores already are decked out in their Christmas garb.  Some are even having “Black Friday” sales today.  For traditionalists like me, Thanksgiving will start the festivities and when Santa arrives at the end of New York’s Macys’ Thanksgiving Day Parade, let the Christmas music begin.

I fondly remember watching the parade with my mom and dad.  Mom was one of eleven, and Thanksgiving was spent with her side of the family at my uncle’s Inn in Connecticut.  My aunts and uncles, and my cousins all gathered for one heck of a party.   I knew Christmas was not far away.  Have times changed.

My holiday time with my kids had lots of celebrations, including my best Christmas gift ever, December 23rd, 1974.  The birth of my son!  So the holidays were a very festive time in the Vince DeLisi home.

Fast forward to 2010.  2009 was so terrible I chose not to talk about it.  2010 is going to be a time I will share about.  It will begin with dinner for one on Thanksgiving.  That is just the way it is going to be.  It is OK.  I have many wonderful loving people in my life, and my health, while I still have my challengers, it is so much better than 2009.  There are many like me who will be alone, and while it will be a bit sad, I am happy for so many blessings.  There are many who will be alone who will not be able to say they are happy.  The holiday season is one of loneliness and depression for many.  In this year where we feel let down by our leaders, family or friends, this can be more than some people can handle.

A suggestion, if you have elderly neighbors or friends who are alone, greet them with smiles and hugs.  It will make their year.  If you have family who will be alone, an extra call will keep them smiling for days.  Share your Christmas spirit with as many as you can.  It will keeps you feeling warm and loved well into 2011.


No comments: