Monday, November 15, 2010

Fighting On and Volunteering









It was a great weekend!!  The above pictures are from the Step Out, a diabetes walk to raise research money and awareness.  Not only was I able to raise some money., and again thanks to all who supported me, I was able to get a great deal of information on how to help my struggle with this terrible disease.  A boost I needed as I prepare to receive another injection in my eye today as I battle retinopathy thanks to my diabetes,.

I was also able to connect with Albertsons’ Grocery Stores as I try and get more diabetic friendly items on their shelves.  Katherine Ross, Mother Love, and the L.A. Lakers Cheerleaders were among those present to inspire all of the walkers; many who like me suffer from diabetes.  The only thing missing was media attention of this worthy event.  We really need to let everyone know that in ten years one in three people will likely suffer from diabetes.  This is a huge number.  Too bad the media world does not see us as one their “sexy” diseases which should have coverage.  I contacted a number of media outlets, but they had other things to cover on a Saturday, including other fund raising walks.  We all need to speak out and let the world know they need to learn about and fight diabetes.

That was Saturday.  On Sunday I performed my duties as a Docent at The Getty Center in Los Angeles.  I truly love doing this.  I have been a docent for about a month, and the joy I receive giving tours, manning the family room and sketching gallery does so much for me.  One, it makes me smile, two it gives me the opportunity to meet people from around the world, three it taught me all of us can and should volunteer in any way possible.  As the holiday season quickly approaches, even though stores are full of Christmas, it’s not holiday season yet, but as it approaches there are so many things we all can do to volunteer.  If it’s just bringing an unwrapped toy, or donating to a food bank, we should do it.  For those who have the time working in food pantries or food kitchens will be good for your heart and soul.

It took my health going south for me to take a long look at this and realize I could do more.  I hope at least one of you will join me.

1 comment:

Susan Wolfe Devol said...

Vince,you have discovered the amazing joys of "giving back" that some never find. Peace be with you.