Friday, September 10, 2010

Why Can’t We Be Friends????

Sitting here listening to War singing this song and I thought, 1) what a great question, 2) what a great song, and 3) what a good title for a blog.

I come from a pretty large Sicilian family on both my mother’s and father’s side.  Mom was one of eleven kids.  My grandparents did it the right way, Ellis Island, my grandfathers found  jobs, built  homes for their families, and they were proud to be American’s.  Their kids, my aunt’s and uncle’s were very much individuals.  They all had their own thoughts and ideas.  Half were Republicans the other half Democrats so discussions were lively, but respectful.  Everyone listened to their thoughts and the process on how they got there.  They would even like to debate with me and my cousins.  Opinions were diverse, and I loved getting into “debates”.  This is how I learned about our political system, one in which different ideas were listened to, and compromise was the answer.    What the hell happened?

I do not have the answer to that question.  When people try to answer in 2010 there is so much acrimony.  People will not even try to have a conversation, never mind a relationship with anyone who does not agree with their political point of view. 

Personally I could care less about your politics.  Fight nicely for your ideals, and I will do the same.  It is so hard to find many people who feel this way.  That is why I have top tip my hat to Mary Matalin and James Carville.   James on the left, Mary on the right, and they are married, and have been for quite some time proving naysayers wrong, with comments of this will not last long.

Hey everyone wake up!!!!! We can coexist despite our political differences.  And those of you in office, both sides of the isle, get off your high horses and stop attacking those on the other side.  We are blessed to live in such a great country with talented and intelligent people.  So let us all take a breath and start working with each other on solutions.  We have to do this, we do not want to have either a Civil War, or become a country where others can walk right in and destroy the greatest nation on earth.

So again I ask the question, Why Can’t We Be Friends?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are the products of continuous conditioning over many many years. Liberal vs conservative, Democrat vs Republican, yourside vs myside, their skin color vs my skin color, etc. The result? Divide and conquer. We are in the end game. Turn off the TV!

If you don't agree with me, go jump into a vat of chocolate pudding!!!