Monday, September 27, 2010

Does This Really Pass as News?

A thread on Facebook moves me to answer this question.  Here is the post:

So Lindsey Lohan 24, is all over the news because she's a celebrity drug addict? Justin Allen 23, Brett Linley 29, Matthew Weikert 29, Justus Bartett 27,Dave Santos 21, Chase Stanley 21, Jesse Reed 26, Matthew Johnson 21, Zachary Fisher 24, Brandon King 23, Christopher Goeke 23 & Sheldon Tate 27 are all Marines that gave their lives this week! No media mention at all! Let's honor THEM by reposting”

I usually do not pay attention to posts like this, and I have not checked the names in this post, however we lose soldiers fighting for our continued freedom every day.  I show you now a media gathering”



This was the gathering to cover Lindsey Lohans’ last court appearance.  I have seen fewer reporters at candidate debates, murder investigations, and even tragic accidents.  It never was this way.  I covered many stories in my career as a news and sports reporter, and I am proud to say I have been able to stay away from this circus atmosphere.

Today however, assignment editors have given legitimacy to this type of story and the paparazzi stalking celebrities.  It is nothing more than a paycheck for these fools with cameras who become the story more times than not. 

For me it was the thrill of getting the story, and I wanted to be first.  I wanted to put on the air a factual story and be fair to both sides of an issue.  One of my proudest moments was a story I did in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania covering pro-life and pro choice.  I received nice notes from both sides complimenting me on my coverage.

Today it is just dig up the dirt, do not let the facts get in the way of a story, and quickly move on to the next easy celeb.  There is a market for this, TMZ, Entertainment Tonight to name two.  But by giving credence and calling this a news story, shame on “legitimate” news outlets, and their ambush approach to journalism. They now cover politics, wars, and tragedies like they would Lohan, just looking for the juicy 15 sec incendiary soundbite.
I challenge our news executives to get back into the news business.  Let us once again look for and find what the story is and stay away from blatant sensationalism.


4 comments:

marlene said...

thanks for the insite...really burns me that a celeb gets more attention than a young man or woman who dies for our FREEDOM!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks – I know “This Week on Sunday morning does mention those who died the prior week, soliders and celebs. To your point, if the media is not covering “celebs” then they are covering “negative” dark stories. What happened to “Human Interest” stories or stories of valor? Stories that teach, share positive news, something uplifting, that is true. We now live in the 2/3 minute sound bite, so viewers when watching the news use your imagination to make up the facts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks – I know “This Week on Sunday morning does mention those who died the prior week, soliders and celebs. To your point, if the media is not covering “celebs” then they are covering “negative” dark stories. What happened to “Human Interest” stories or stories of valor? Stories that teach, share positive news, something uplifting, that is true. We now live in the 2/3 minute sound bite, so viewers when watching the news use your imagination to make up the facts.

Chip said...

Vince, to a degree this falls into the category of "we get what we deserve." Do people watch this crap because the assignment editors send reporters? Or do assignment editors send reporters because people watch this crap? Maybe a bit of both. Why are the supermarket checkouts crammed with celebrity gossip magazine? Why does Ashton Kutcher have 5,860,745 followers on his Twitter account. Why does anyone take the Tea Party seriously? We get what we deserve.